It is empirical that water conservation remains a strong priority in Johannesburg to ensure a continuous supply and avoid limitations of reservoirs due to high water demand outstripping supply. All residents are also reminded that as the City of Johannesburg, we rely on supply from other Provinces that feed into the Vaal Dam system in order for us to have water on our taps, and should always be mindful of the amount of water we use daily.
Under level-1 water restrictions :
- Watering of gardens is not allowed between 6 am and 6 pm in summer months (1 Sept to 31 March) and furthermore,
- It is not allowed for residents to wash paved areas and driveways using hose pipes
- Residents are urged to report all leaks
Water saving tips:
- Do not leave taps dripping
- Wash your car on the grass, this will water your lawn at the same time.
- Shorten your showering time
- Use a glass of water to rinse when brushing your teeth.
- Take shallow baths and avoid filling your bath to a depth greater than 100mm
- Re-use grey water to water your garden or pot plants.
Residents are also urged to continue to report all burst pipes, leaking water meters, open hydrants to:
- 011 375 5555/086 056 2874
- SMS 076 333 5052
- @Jhbwater- Twitter
- Johannesburg Water- Facebook
Johannesburg Water is committed to providing sustainable water and water restrictions will be enforced by fines to consumers who contravened the Water Services By-law and consumers are urged to report non-compliance to the JMPD 24/7 hotline on 011 758 9650.